Gender inequality still remains prevalent in the workplace.
In fact, the gap between executive positions and earning power has narrowed, but women continue to lag behind men. Here are 10 career tips so you can avoid the common workplace pitfalls and climb the corporate ladder with success.
- Practice your communication and writing skills. Make sure that you speak simply and confidently.
- Look the part. Dress and emulate the style of successful female managers in your workplace .
- Learn to play the office game. Office politics in the workplace can get vicious. To succeed learn to develop allies and alliances to get the resources and support you need to carry out your career goals.
- Don't neglect the money. Are you a non-profit fundraiser looking to transfer from the public to the private sector? Research the current salary of non profit jobs to negotiate better pay or a new job offer to advance your nonprofit career.
- Wipe your tears in your office, or in the car. Avoid crying at work– it affects your credibility.
- Speak up at meetings. Highlight your accomplishments and ideas in front of your peers and your bosses.
- Don't be a wallflower. Actively take part in social outings, outside company functions and parties.
- Get tough. Handle negative feedback with resilience.
- Be a receptive employee. Swallow constructive criticism and learn from your mistakes without whining or complaining.
- Save money for a rainy day. Invest in fringe benefits such as 401(k) plans to boost your retirement portfolio.